I play clarinet, drums, percussion and sing (mostly backing vocals), and also play (to an intermediate standard), accordion and piano.
Favourite styles: Greek rembetika, Klezmer, music from Eastern Europe, North Africa, Brazil, Cape Verde, Martinique, Cuba, Venezuela, Peru etc etc.
Percussion: african, arabic and latin styles on hand drums, claves, shakers etc.
Drumkit: reggae, highlife, calypso, soca, songo....presently trying to get my head around proper Latin drumset playing in the left-foot-clave style of Horatio Hernandez et al...
I sing in
1. English (I like the old Carribean tunes like Lord Kitchener's Take Yuh Meat out me Rice and the Melodian's Say Darlin Say)
2. French e.g. Orchestra Baobab's Coumba and Noir Desir's Le Vent Nous Portera
3. Spanish (e.g. Manu Chao's Desaparecido and Lagrimas de Oro)
4. Portuguese (e.g. Baden Powell's Samba em Preludio)
Greek, Finnish, Eastern European, and Venezuelan dance music and ballads
Mostly Eric Satie and Michael Nyman
Highlight gigs include:
2014: Athena Theatre, Leicester. Director of Music for the show Manhattan (involved building percussion for 4 musicians out of junk, writing the music and rehearsing the musicians among other things). Playing clarinet and Percussion. 22 shows between 20th November and 31st December
2014: Mall of Istanbul, Turkey. Clarinet and percussion for pre-show processions and stage show (3/day for three days)
2013: Glastonbury Festival. Live music (clarinet/drums) for stage show "Esmerelda's Night Circus"
• 2012: York Minster, UK: playing clarinet and percussion whilst mingling with guests throughout a fundraising night for the Minster with the physical theatre company Incandescence, June 8th.
• 2011: 360 Mall, Kuwait with Incandescence: 1 stage show and 2 parades daily for Eid celebrations, 1st-3rd September.
•2009-2010: The Pearl, Qatar. Entertaining clients on the Porto Arabia development. Clarinet, drums and vocals. 3 x 1 hour shows per day, five days a week for six months.
•2009 London Boat Show, with Incandescence. Clarinet. One parade plus three stage shows per day for 10 days.
•2008 Gorton Monastery, Manchester. Clarinet. Corporate entertainment with Incandescence.
•2007 Grosvenor Marriott Hotel, Bond Street, London. Clarinet. Corporate entertainment with Incandescence.
•2006 Eden Project, Cornwall. Samba drumming, entertaining kids and their parents. 2 weeks, 2 shows a day plus finale parade.
•2006 Quimper, France Pan Celtic Festival, Clarinet with the band Los Trognos Coulos.
•2006 Aynsham Hall, Oxfordshire, Clarinet. Corporate entertainment with Incandescence.
•2004 Eden Project Drumming with the 6-piece latin band Barco.
•2003 Cornwall Fiesta Latina. Clarinet/percussion (supporting Tango Siempre).
•2002 Summer residency at the Tres Macacos bar, Ferrogudo, Portugal.
Music for films/theatre:
•2005 An Old Man With Enormous Wings: (KneeHigh Theatre)
•2004 The Great Silence: (Miracle Theatre)
•2003 Bitter Sweet: (Film, Dir. Antal Kovacs)