Cinematographer to Collaborate on a Documentary Film
I have just graduated from the University of Sydney with a BA in sociology and history and am now, looking to establish a career in documentary making. I have received a small grant to create a documentary on alternative Jewish identities.
My starting point for this project is that from the outside looking in, the Jewish community in Sydney appears to be homogenised. Rather than plural and inclusive, mainstream Jewish institutions and spaces and the dominant voices in the community all tend to hold similar views on Jewish, Israel and non-Jewish related issues and conceive of Jewish identity in comparable ways. In light of this, Jewish identity in an Australian-context has become conflated with certain partisan dispositions and behaviours. This has seeped into the way Jews and non-Jews alike have come to define Jewish identity in an Australian context as:
• Modern Orthodox
• Privileged; Living in Sydney’s east/ north
• Strong /uncritical pro-Israel lobby and voting for political parties who actively support Israel
• Giving intra-communal matters precedence over universal and social justice concerns
• Attending private Jewish day school
My documentary attempts to encourage a conversation about pluralism in the Jewish community which gives divergent and alternative Jewish identities and experiences a platform and a space to express themselves.
I am looking for a volunteer cinematographer to help me shoot this project.
This job is unpaid
- volunteer position
- looking for someone with cinematography experience (doesn't have to be extensive experience) or just an interest in and passion for cinematography
- interested in documentary (particularly social impact docos)
Anyone, aged 18 and overApply now
- Located in New South Wales, Australia
- Joined February, 2019